- Science and Language Arts for grades 3-5
In this activity, students will read about Dan Grossman's experience on a glacier and gather information about glaciers.
1. As a class, read the January 27th journal entry that tells of Dan Grossman's exciting escapade as he lowered himself over the edge of a glacier cliff.
2. Create a map that shows the sequence of events that Dan encountered on the glacier.
3. Divide the students into small groups. Ask each group to create a four-panel comic strip based on Dan's report. Provide the groups with the following questions to aid in their planning:
- What were the key events in the journal?
- How did Dan react?
- How do you think Dan was feeling?
- How might you have reacted?
- How might you best capture the mood?
- Will your comic strip contain humor, excitement, or drama?
- How will your illustrations complement the text?
4. Create a classroom exhibit where students can post and share their work with others.